Monday, July 30, 2007

Baby delusions

I lose my mind over new babies and get the crazy idea that I can sew. Really I can't, as I've learned the hard way in the past (I once tried to sew a new outfit to wear when Steve came home from a deployment -- the carcass of that skirt is still in my scrap bag).

But as I say, something about babies makes me believe I can do the impossible. On July 20, our new niece and nephew were born, and I raced right out to get fabric to make them each a quilt like the one I made their big sister two years ago. While the kids were reading Harry Potter, I waited out my turn by cutting, pinning, and sewing. This one is Madeline's.


And this is Nathan's. Gregory and my friend YeVette helped me choose the fabric for the squares (Katherine was canoeing) and then both kids helped choose the backing and coordinating thread and embroidery floss.

Gregory wants to go on record as being opposed to the jungle fabric in Nathan's quilt because it depicts animals in nonstandard colors (such as pink elephants) and he wants no part of misleading impressionable young cousins.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Panzerlawyer said...

To the contrary...we can confirm that you are the best sewer (um, sower...sohwer...sewor) we know. The quilts are breathtaking...you plainly could go into business with these works of art. Thank you very much.