Sunday, June 8, 2008

Post-snow fun

What have we been doing for fun since the snow melted?

Katherine has taken up horse back riding. This photo shows her at her lesson on June 2 -- cool enough to wear a light jacket. The stable is in Pembroke, and there are beautiful views. Katherine seems very comfortable on the various horses she's getting to know at Gelinas Farm, and she makes riding look really fun.


Just to show you that he has more interests than soccer, here is Gregory with his new bike. He'd outgrown the old one and was looking forward to this new hybrid, so we can tool around town or perhaps on some paths (smooth ones, I hope). I took his old bike out to ride around the block with him. I'm inspired to look into my own wheels -- it was the first time I'd been on a bike since I was a teenager, I believe, and I'd forgotten how fun it is, and how nice to create a little wind on a hot day. It was in the 90's this weekend, which is way too hot for here, and way too hot for June. We've noticed one effect of global warming: more public places seem to be air conditioned. In fact, I heard a rumor that the library now has a/c -- I still remember how surprised I was when we lived here before and I took the kids there seeking some cool air, only to be foiled.


Katherine took this photo at the Saint Gaudens National Historic Site in Cornish. We recently watched a program about Saint Gaudens on NHPTV, and wanted to visit. We decided to make a day of it, when we looked at a map and saw we'd be only about 20 minutes from here for Gregory's soccer game. Like many sites in New England, this place is only open to the public from the end of May until the end of October. It's good to be out and about in our state again.

The weekend before last we went to Squam Lakes Natural Science Center with Christopher and Cheri and family. That's another wonderful seasonal treat. Christopher noted that there are lots of ice cream stands around here. I theorized that New Englanders are so pleased when winter and mud season are behind them, they can't help but celebrate. The best part is that come fall, they'll celebrate the return of cool weather and gorgeous foliage, and then first snow and winter's cold beauty, and yes, even mud season will bring it's joys -- the first bulbs, the return of perennials like lily of the valley and bleeding heart, and later, when spring's really taken hold, the lilacs that burst with fragrance and color.

Our life learning is seasonal too; right now the kids are learning about growing food as our garden gets going. I went out last week in the drizzle to weed and set out some canteloupe and butternut squash seedlings, and Katherine planted 4 hills of pumpkins. Gregory's row of potatoes are all sprouting. When I was a child, my family had a large garden in our yard, and my grandmother always planted one too. I have fond memories of fresh picked suppers. In fact, growing up, summer meant long days with lots of swimming, endless supplies of fruits and vegetables, and lots and lots of books. Still does . . .

Gregory recently read Life of Pi and reports it's a terrific book, and Katherine read Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles today -- yes, the entire 279 page book, which she started when Gregory went off to warm up with his soccer team about 40 minutes before game time and finished as we pulled into Concord, a few hours later. I'm reading a wonderful book of essays by Anne Fadiman called Ex Libris, and I also have a fresh pile on my nightstand, because I hit the Pembroke town library book and bake sale early Saturday morning.

Lying in bed reading with a booklight, with fireflies outside the window and a cool breeze coming in after a warm day -- that's summertime!

The city pools open next weekend, and summer starts in earnest. I can't wait for our first lakeside picnic of the year, fireflies, our own garden produce, lobster on the screened porch, and all the other pleasures a New England summer brings.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: